Tupac Shakur ’s murder trial began in Las Vegas on August 17, 2026, nearly 30 years after the rapper was fatally shot in a September 7, 1996, drive by shooting. Prosecutors accused Duane “Keffe D” Davis of organizing the attack as revenge for a fight involving Shakur and Davis’ nephew earlier that night. Clark County Chief Deputy District Attorney Binu Palal told jurors that Davis did not fire the gun but helped arrange the retaliation. The prosecution played portions of a 2008 interview in which Davis described a white Cadillac pulling alongside the BMW carrying Shakur and Suge Knight near the Las Vegas Strip. What Does the Prosecution Say Happened? According to the state’s opening statement, Davis obtained the weapon and placed it in the Cadillac with Terrence “T-Brown” Brown, DeAndre “Dre” Smith, and Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson. Palal said Anderson ultimately grabbed the gun and opened fire after an earlier confrontation inside the MGM Grand following a Mike Tyson boxing match. Davis’ attorney, Michael Sanft, challenged the prosecution’s reliance on the interview and asked why authorities did not charge Davis in 2008 if they believed his account was a confession. Sanft also questioned why investigators did not conduct additional interviews or follow-up work to corroborate Davis’ statements, leaving jurors to weigh the recording against the state’s theory of planned revenge.